- You’re tired. You want to stop, but you can’t. Lattes and sunsets and quirky glassware flash before your eyes.
- If your breakfasts aren’t beautiful… do you exist?
- If you don’t read poetry in sunbeams, do you actually understand it?
- If you go on vacation and don’t document every moment of it, if you don’t spread your arms wide for a photo opp in front of the sea, did you really go?
- Is the cure for depression and anxiety as easy as reading a Top 10 Reasons to Live list?
Generalized Embarrassment About Ultimately Inconsequential Bullshit:
- You just washed your hair with shower gel for the third day in a row (lifehack: shower gel and shampoo are almost the same thing–you won’t die if you substitute one for the other on a poor or lazy day/week/month).
- There are three empty water bottles under your bed and the only explanation you can offer is “pure, unadulterated laziness.”
- You drank a can of Diet Coke and ate a slice of bread “for dinner.”
- You’ve never had a manicure.
- You went to sleep with your asymmetrical eyeliner still on last night.
- The socks on your feet don’t match.
- You’d rather spend an afternoon in an old man bar than at Kelsey’s new vegan venture.
- WHY ARE THESE PEOPLE DRINKING SO MANY LATTES?
- Life doesn’t look like this! Life is gross! Life is that old guy at the dark convenience store (they’re trying to save on electricity) who walked in smoking a cigar, asking for change. Life is the waiter with gnarly body odor you had today. Life is Eileen Myles writing a poem called Peanut-butter that begins I am always hungry/ & wanting to have sex. Life is that lady laying on the ground at the Paseo de Prado. Life is watching a man change into his Quixote costume. Fine, whatever, it’s gorgeous, too. Life is gorgeous, but it’s not made of pastels or lists or aerial shots of eggs Benedict.
You fell into a scroll-hole on a lifestyle blogger’s Instagram, didn’t you? Whatta dummy.
Go outside. Respect the lifestyle ladies and men, anyway, for working hard and making a living marketing lives that don’t look like yours does. They must wonder what the fuck? from time to time, too. But that doesn’t sell.